Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart Behavior - Trades on a Chart

Hi-

When I run strategies directly from the strategy tab, all trades I do in an instrument will show up in all charts of that instrument. Those trades remain persistent even if I turn the strategy off and turn it back on again.

However, if I run a strategy from a chart, and disable/enable the strategy, all trades will disappear from that chart and *never* re-appear.

Why the inconsistency?

Hello Cgeorgan,

If you use a strategy to place trades, then those trades are displayed on the chart provided you have Plot Executions enabled under the Right Click > Data Series window.

These could be strategy placed trades from the control center or the chart.

When you apply a strategy to a chart, it runs the strategy against all historical bars and displays virtual positions. These are orders that would have taken place given the strategies conditions. These are not actual executions and so will not remain when the strategy is removed.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanM View Post
      Hello Cgeorgan,

If you use a strategy to place trades, then those trades are displayed on the chart provided you have Plot Executions enabled under the Right Click > Data Series window.

These could be strategy placed trades from the control center or the chart.

When you apply a strategy to a chart, it runs the strategy against all historical bars and displays virtual positions. These are orders that would have taken place given the strategies conditions. These are not actual executions and so will not remain when the strategy is removed.
      Yes - I have no problem displaying trades.

Again, what I'm saying is that when you disable the strategy, those trades disappear from the charts *forever*. Gone.

If I do the same with a strategy that originated in the strategy window, however, trade markings will stay on the charts literally "forever".

Comment

Sorry for the late reply here.

My suspicion is that you are not seeing actual executions on your chart. If you apply a strategy to a chart and it places orders (going forward), then those orders remain on the chart even if the strategy is removed.

All the historical virtual positions only show up when the strategy is applied to a chart and since they are not actual executions (never submitted to an account), then they will go away once the strategy is removed.

Running a strategy from the strategies tab of control center does not place these virtual trades on the chart.

Let us know if this is not your experience.

Comment

No, this isn't it - Again, when I run trades (live sim executions) from the strategies tab, all those executions stay on any chart that displays the instrument that was traded.

If *instead* I load the same strategy on a chart, those executions will actually show up on the chart BUT, if I disable the strategy, those trades (which were once live but are now historical) disappear.

Comment

Thanks, Cgeorgan. Executions should remain on your chart if they were placed from the strategy chart or control center chart. I'd like to continue with a phone call and remote assistance so I can see what you're looking at.

Please send a note to [email protected] Attn: RyanM, reference this thread, and include your availability and phone number.

Comment

Sure, PM me and we'll set something up. It's quite easy to replicate.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanM View Post
                Sorry for the late reply here.

My suspicion is that you are not seeing actual executions on your chart. If you apply a strategy to a chart and it places orders (going forward), then those orders remain on the chart even if the strategy is removed.

All the historical virtual positions only show up when the strategy is applied to a chart and since they are not actual executions (never submitted to an account), then they will go away once the strategy is removed.

Running a strategy from the strategies tab of control center does not place these virtual trades on the chart.

Let us know if this is not your experience.
                I think I figured it out -

When you disable a strategy from a chart, the chart markings do in fact disappear. However, if you go into the preferences, change the resolution of the chart and return, those trades will show up again.

Who knows why.

Comment

I'm not sure what you're seeing. Send a note to support email if you'd like to work on it some more. Support email is preferable to PM because only I can see PMs whereas the entire staff can view emails and offer input.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by OllieFeraher, 05-09-2024, 11:14 AM
                  6 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post OllieFeraher  
                  Started by PaulMohn, 05-02-2024, 06:59 PM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes