Data Import/Export Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Import/Export Problems

When I upgraded from 6.5 to NT7.14, I did the migration. The data did not come through properly, because once I reconnected to AMP/ZenFile, only the SuperDom tended to work. Then I got a couple error/warning messages that said to import the data again. I tried that. The data only exported & imported from NT6.5 through 4/26. The data should be through 4/30. The default for the ending data was 5/1...which I left alone.
    Any ideas?

Also, why were the templates ignored or not brought forward from NT6.5 to NT7?

To make it worse, there is a limitation where you cannot run both NT6.5 and NT7 at the same time. With that limitation, you have to completely shut down NT7, start NT6.5, run the item that did not migrate, take a screen dump, shut down NT6.5, restart NT7, and try to recreate what didn't migrate.
    Any ideas? Is there a way to at least run both so we can see the previous settings and compare to the NT7 settings??

Chuck,

Please provide the exact error message you see when importing. Thanks.

Chart Templates are not migratable. NT7 has a completely new charting concept and it is not compatible with NT6.5 templates. You will have to rebuild them.

You cannot have 6.5 and 7 running at the same time. This is expected. Since your data is recent, you could just use NT7 to download the new data anyways.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Reply to Josh

**There is no error message during the NT6.5 export.
      In fact, there is nothing at all!
      The only way you can tell that its doing something is to look at the
      Norton Utilities CPU Usage chart & see that the CPU usage has
      gone up.

I asked for ES 06-10 from 3/15 to 5/1, which is valid, and there
      is data in the NT6.5 files. NT went off and did something. When
      I tried to look at the data in NT7, the 1st time, it only went to about
      4/1. I had to export from NT6.5 4 separate times into text files.
      Then append those text files into 1 file...and import that into NT7.
      Apparently, it doesn't want to export more than about 2 weeks at
      a time.

** Please look at the limitation from our stand point.
      If you don't have the ability to migrate the templates, we have to somehow see the old version & upgrade to the new. Therefore, it would be very beneficial if we did not have to continually take NT6.5 and NT7 up and down in order to do screen dumps and such to rebuild the settings that you cannot handle automatically.

I don't want to run both against any data or whatever, just look at the problems we face as customers trying to make up for the problems.
      All we would have to do in the old version is see the settings...
      Or just import whatever you can from the old templates to the new version and default what you cannot set.

Comment

Chuck,

Unfortunately you will not be able to run 6.5 and 7 at the same time. The chart templates will unfortunately have to be rebuilt manually. As mentioned in your other thread, unfortunately there is no way to bring 6.5 templates into 7. You will have to rebuild them. We know it is inconvenient, but it is the only way it can work for numerous technical reasons.

For your data append are you saying you are running into issues with 6.5's export or are you running into issues with 7's import?

Comment

Reply To Josh

** This is a terrible inconvenience and limitation. Please consider the easiest solution...
          * Build new objects as close as possible to the existing objects.
          That way we will at least know what objects need to be rebuilt.
          *Output the current settings from the Old version to a file/printout.
          That way we know the current settings & can try to rebuild.
          *Allow the old version to be run, only to view the setups.
          That way we can visually see both & rebuild the various objects.

** For the Data Migration/Append problem. I have no idea whether its was due to a problem in 6.5 or 7. There is never enough information given to know. There was no error or warning message during migration or NT6.5 data export. Even after starting NT7, the SuperDoms looked like they worked, but when I tried to view the charts, I got a message that the data was bad and had to be imported again. I have no idea what happened. After that message, I shut down NT7 & waited for the market to close before trying again. I tried to export the full data from 6.5 to a text file, but again, no messages. When I looked at the actual file, it would only come over in pieces. It never said that all of the data was not exported. I think I had to do 4 exports and append them together with my editor to finally get all the data. I won't know until later tonight or tomorrow whether it will work or not in NT7. I think whatever was in the file imported OK. It seems that the NT6.5 export data always stopped on a Friday, after exporting a few weeks of tick data.

Comment

To know if you are running into issues with 6.5 export, please open the txt file after you export and view the dates in the export file created. Then when you import it into 7 see if the data is simply missing even though it existed in the txt file. If data is missing from the txt file it is a 6.5 issue. If data is in the txt file, but did not fully load into 7 then it is a 7 issue. Please let us know as we would be interested to isolate this issue. Thank you.

Comment

Instruments not supported

I am trying to import historical metastock tick data files... and all is fine until I get

"Instrument `SP ##-##`not supported" when trying to open the chart.

Whats strange is that I can see the data that I want to load into a new chart in the "edit" section of the Historical Data Manager....

Any ideas why the charts cannot be generated?

Regards

Comment

everington_f,

How have you got this instrument setup in the Instrument Manager? Is it marked as a futures instrument?

Comment

Yes, it is named in the instrument manager, and is marked as a future.

Comment

What about the symbol mappings for it? What instrument is it listed under on your Historical Data Manager?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Carolscogginsi, Today, 10:45 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Carolscogginsi  
                    Started by RaddiFX, Today, 10:15 AM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes