NT7 DataSeries with CustomRange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT7 DataSeries with CustomRange

I created a DataSeries and selected "Data | Load data based on" = CustomRange and then selected a specific StartDate. After saving the Workspace / Chart the date will not hold when I open the Workspace the following day. It appears to be treating the Start Date as if it were a "Days To Load" selection.

Is this expected behavior or an "Oops"?

To confirm:
    Create Workspace
    Add Chart / DataSeries and select a Custom Start Date
    Close/Save WorkSpace
    Tomorrow open the WorkSpace and check the Custom Start Date. For me, it will add a day to the Start Date instead of holding the original Start Date entered.
    Last edited by TAJTrades; 04-25-2010, 09:38 AM.

Hi TAJTrades,

Thank you for your post.

I will test this out and update you on my results sometime tomorrow.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi TAJTrades,

Thank you for your patience.

I did not see the same behavior on my end this morning.

Please send a note to Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com with 'ATTN: Kyle' in the subject line.

In the message, please include the following:
      1.) A link to this forum thread.

2.) The workspace you were using where this occurred.
      You will find the workspace in the My Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Workspaces folder.

Comment

Kyle,

Thanks for your help on this.

Digging through the trace logs I notice this line. Doesn't appear right to me.

PHP Code:
        2010-04-27 04:04:11:156 .NET/CLR Version='2.0.50727.3603'/32bit 
        Shouldn't NT be picking up .Net 3.5? I have Net 3.5 SP1 installed (see image below).

If this is an issue can you point me in the right direction to fix it.

Thanks
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi TAJTrades,

This is expected behavior. Despite having later versions installed, NinjaTrader is simply checking to make sure that your .NET version meets our minimum requirement.

Comment

Kyle,

Email sent with XML files and screen shots from yesterday and today.

BTW, I was running NT7/ZenFire yesterday trading the ES. NT7 handled the volume bursts, 40K to 50K contracts on a 1 Minute Bar, with ease. And I have NT7 loaded on my slower computer! No lag in the charts or DOM while a trading friend's TradeStation was melting down. He was not a happy camper! In between laughing at his rants I think I convinced him to download NT7 and give you guys a shot.

Well done on 7!

Comment

Hi TAJTrades,

Thanks for your kind words about NinjaTrader 7!

Just wanted to let you know that I have received your email and I will follow up with you there shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by TAJTrades View Post
                I created a DataSeries and selected "Data | Load data based on" = CustomRange and then selected a specific StartDate. After saving the Workspace / Chart the date will not hold when I open the Workspace the following day. It appears to be treating the Start Date as if it were a "Days To Load" selection.
                I notice the same behavior on 7.0 Beta 20.

I selected a start date to be the last rollover date for the ES instrument (in this case 6-10-2010), and as time goes by, I find myself having to go back and advance the "Start Date" feild under "Load data based on CustomRange" in the Data Series definition screen.

Although I can see the usefulness of this for some applications, and see that this does match the concept of a fixed range of days where the start & end dates are specified, what I want is a variable range of days where the first day remains fixed, so I can monitor just what's happened during the current contract.

This doesn't seem at all complicated. Can this be added in V7, or should I go back to sleep for another couple of years?

Comment

Hi KBJ,

Thanks for your post.

Are you using the current date as the End Date for your chart? If so, what you're seeing would be expected with a custom date range.

Comment

What You're Seeing Would be Expected

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
                    ...what you're seeing would be expected...
                    Kyle, thanks for your response.

And yes, the "End Date" was set to be the current date.

However, please keep in mind that the only reason I made this posting was because the results provided were not what I expected, and I think if we were to ask if the results were what TAJTrades expected we'd likely find that they were not expected and that was the reason for the original posting for this thread.

Just because a software developer doesn't expect something to work, that doesn't mean that the application's user will have the same expectations. In general, us users are optimists (that's why we didn't jump ship and go to another platform - in some cases, a long time ago), so please recognize this and give us some hope of a better product in the [hopefully not too distant] future.

Sorry if I'm being a little testy, but I see this "expected" reason bandied about a little too often. In some cases to avoid answering a simple feature request (like I just made in my earlier posting), and in some cases to cover over a glaring lack of functionality, and in other cases to ignore an outright bug. I know the developers don't consider it a "bug" (ooooh there's that nasty word again) ... they want to consider it an undocumented limitation, or a design-flaw, or a known-problem, or some such, but please look at this from the user's perspective ... it's something that's missing and needs to be handled to make a satisfied user (that's what is "expected".)

Since the question answered from my original posting did not get answered, could you please address that?

Thanks.

P.S. As a professional software developer since 1974, I know all the excuses, justifications, and techniques to dance around a problem that I (or one of my programmers) created. Like anyone I don't like to have my nose rubbed in it, but at times I still have to "eat crow" and say "Good idea, I didn't think of that". You'll find much better results with that than "what you're seeing would be expected."

My point is that I'm not unfamiliar with what goes through a software-developers head, and ultimately I just want to see a better NinjaTrader product.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. The feature for a rolling last date and a stationary start date is indeed on our feedback list.
                      Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Im not sure if this is the same issue being discussed here, but Sometimes, the market openes and I see that my chart isn't updating.

I then go into 'data series' and see that the 'end date' is yesterdays date.
                        I then change it to todays date and price updates on the chart.

Am I suposed to be changing the 'end date' manually every day??
                        Or can I pick a date a few years in the future to avoid having to keep doing this?

Comment

subterfuge, I've seen this behavior too, as recently as this morning. Unfortunately I'm not sure what causes it, but we would need a reproducible scenario in order to isolate what could be going on. I've been looking for how to reproduce this but have been unsuccessful so far. If you figure it out, please let us know.
                          AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

My traders have occasionally run into this problem as well.

We believe it to be after doing replay during the after-hours session; then the next morning sometimes one or more charts end up not displaying and we find that the end data is not the current date.

subterfuge, could this be what you noticed?

Unfortunately we have not found a reproducible scenario.

Comment

I dont believe so KBJ, as, personally, I am yet to use the 'replay' function.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by haas88, 03-21-2024, 02:22 AM
                              19 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                              Started by ZeroKuhl, Yesterday, 04:31 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post ZeroKuhl