A serious issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A serious issue

I just wanted to higlight a really serious issue with v7. Although I haven't investigated the strategy / optimization side, I think from a discretionary trader's charting standpoint NinjaTrader v7 is....really excellent! You all deserve many congrats. on the new development and the support you are giving.

I know this thread is for bugs etc.. but I couldn't resist a few compliments.

The things I am now finding invaluable are:

1) One-to-many drawing tool replication and modification to other charts. Seeing trend lines, channels, fibs etc. dropped on different timeframes. An angled trendline or channel is never the same across timeframes / bar types but to see this immediately and for confluence is excellent. If you do get confluence then you be pretty sure that a lot of traders will be playing off the same hits.

2) Indicator and price series overlay.You can miss so much when something is stuck in a panel and overlaying an relatively simple indicator can be very useful when blown up and visible close to price.

3) Mutliple markets/price series on one chart.

4) Proper x and y chart scaling and displacement.

5) Indicators. Drag and drop. Z-Ordering. Indicator on indicator.

6) I know it was around in 6.5 but I still love global chart movement with the global crosshair. Invaluable.

7) New bar types.

8) Flexible price series session bracketing.

9) New plot coloring options.

10) Tick playback. Still indispensable in my mind.

There are other things but I am probably boring you.

There are only two (only two?) things that I would like to see implemented and would make me sing and dance.

1) A standard, easily modifiable, parallel line trend channel tool. This has been requested many times over 3/4 years and if I don't see it in the next beta release I am going to scream!! It is the one thing that messes up my day. It is so useful - IMHO - more useful than a regression channel (BTW you could do with Standard Error in the reg. channel). Drawing a Ray (hi Ray) and then copying it and then trying to readjust is a nightmare.

2) Time and bar based (non time based) spacing dominance in a chart. It would be really nice to have this but not imperative for now - for me anyway. I've posted about it here:
    http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...ad.php?t=27894.

Really only one small thing to fix. Easy! That's it. Well done and many thanks.

I second the bar based spacing idea. To me, it is always necessary to have one of two bar types equidistant. My two cents. Dan
    eDanny
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Hello rtrader,

Thank you for your post and for your kind words!

I will forward your feedback and your suggestions on to my development team.
      KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

rtrader,

On the parallel line tool. Can you please describe in detail how this would work or direct me to an example of another product that does what you want? I can tell you this will not likely make it into beta but I know there is a good demand for this.
        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Trend channel implementation

Hi Ray -

In this particular implementation (image below), the 1st anchor point is drawn first against a pivot, then line is dragged to the second anchor on another pivot. The mouse is released and the 3rd anchor is clicked in place creating the parallels. The middle line is 50% of the width. By moving the 3rd anchor you can change the width of the channel. By moving the 1st or second anchors you can change the slope of the channel. In addtion, by clicking on any of the channel lines apart from the anchors you can move the entire channel without changing the slope or width.

This is OK but a bit of a pain as if you want to re-position the channel against two lower pivots rather than two upper ones (in this image). You have to swop it around. I do this a lot when the trend has progressed to catch false breaks of the price out of the channel or give a bit of wiggle room. All subjective I know....

With a fourth anchor you could overcome the above but then which one controls the width of the channel? Perhaps 3 anchors are fine and less complicated.....

Hope this helps.

All the best.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by rtrader; 04-23-2010, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Just a thought but you could probably play around with the Pitchfork code to put this in place. It has 3 anchors and it draws the 3 parallel lines required.

I would use the Pitchfork instead put it can be worse than copying and pasting rays, especially if the handle is off the chart.

Comment

Thanks for this explanation, I will keep it on hand.
              RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I think what you really need to implement this is:

a Parallel Line tool with a property "Draw 50% Midline"

so the requested feature then would fit a following scenario:

1. user draws a line
                2. user decided to make a channel from so he pick Parallel tool and click on the existing line
                3. he moves the mouse and the tool draws parallel line

I believe this is simple than making a new 3-click tool and also it can find other use like drawing arbitrary parallel lines. Win-win scenario

Comment

Originally posted by maxima View Post

1. user draws a line
                  2. user decided to make a channel from so he pick Parallel tool and click on the existing line

I believe this is simple than making a new 3-click tool and also it can find other use like drawing arbitrary parallel lines. Win-win scenario

Thank you for your suggestion. This will be forwarded to our development team for future considerations.
                  Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by maxima View Post

1. user draws a line

Maxima -

This is fine but it wouldn't take much less time than the current "Draw line", CTL-C, CTL-V, "move live" scenario and you still couldn't change the slope angle on both lines simultaneously without the correct anchor. It is also OK if you are working off longer term charts - you have the time to draw and redraw. However, if you are running one or more short time frame / bar size charts and you need to change the slope, width or positioning in each at regular intervals then it is a nightmare without the current lack of standard tool.
                    Last edited by rtrader; 04-25-2010, 05:04 AM.

Comment

I've found a relatively quick and easy way to draw clean custom channels with anywhere from 2 to 8 parallel lines and created a thread for it. I think it'll allow you guys to do what you're looking to do and then some until development creates an actual tool for it. Check it out:

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...784#post203784

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by knowmad, Today, 03:52 AM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post knowmad
                      by knowmad

Started by tradingnasdaqprueba, Today, 03:42 AM
                      0 responses