Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing Up NT7 ???

NT,

I noticed that the default folder for NT7's backup files is the same folder for NT6.5's backups.

Is it OK to be mixing these backups together in the same folder?

Thanks,

RJay
    RJay
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Innovative Trading Solutions

We will check into this, thanks for reporting.
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

>> Is it OK to be mixing these backups together in the same folder?
      Yes, NT will take care that you don't recover from the "wrong backup version"

Comment

Backup not working?

Just tried backing up NT7 for the first time. It asked me to replace tegh existing NT 6.5. backup file, which I refused. So it seems to be overwriting the other backup!

I then entered another pathname, which did not yet exist, to test whether NT7 would create this directory. But this was not accepted, as NT7 responded with an error message that no such directory exists.

I then created a new directory (<NinjaTrader 7 backup> instead of <NinjaTrader backup>) within my folder <own documents>. This time NT7 would not give an error message - thus acknowledging that the directory existed - but not write anything to this directory.

Any ideas?

Comment

This time backup worked...

Tried again, this time it worked and saved to the new directory. Would be nice to have a different default directory for NT 7 files! Or at least the option to choose a different one under settings.

Originally posted by Harry View Post
          Just tried backing up NT7 for the first time. It asked me to replace tegh existing NT 6.5. backup file, which I refused. So it seems to be overwriting the other backup!

I then entered another pathname, which did not yet exist, to test whether NT7 would create this directory. But this was not accepted, as NT7 responded with an error message that no such directory exists.

I then created a new directory (<NinjaTrader 7 backup> instead of <NinjaTrader backup>) within my folder <own documents>. This time NT7 would not give an error message - thus acknowledging that the directory existed - but not write anything to this directory.

Any ideas?

Comment

Tried again, this time it worked and saved to the new directory. Would be nice to have a different default directory for NT 7 files! Or at least the option to choose a different one under settings.
            I'm also using a separate directory for NT7 backups. It just makes sense.
            RJay

Comment

>> Just tried backing up NT7 for the first time. It asked me to replace tegh existing NT 6.5. backup file, which I refused. So it seems to be overwriting the other backup!
              Expected

>> I then entered another pathname, which did not yet exist, to test whether NT7 would create this directory. But this was not accepted, as NT7 responded with an error message that no such directory exists.
              Expected

>> I then created a new directory (<NinjaTrader 7 backup> instead of <NinjaTrader backup>) within my folder <own documents>. This time NT7 would not give an error message - thus acknowledging that the directory existed - but not write anything to this directory.
              There is a bug which would prevent consecutive executions of the backup (no matter of there was an order or no). This bug will be fixed with next update. Thanks for reporting.

Comment

Backup problems

Tried to backup NT 7.0.0.9 today:

Problem 1: Directory for NT 7.0.0.9 is the same as NT 6.5. -> So I actually deleted my backup file for NT 6.5. (which I use for trading)., have to do the backup again. Please use another default directory or at least a different name for the file created by NT 7. This is a big problem.

Problem 2: I have loaded minute data for about 20 instruments (different contracts as loaded per MergeBackAdjusted). So I get a message: "Unable to create NinjaTrader backup archive file: Too many entries for Zip file." Seems that the new database structure (which is very practical) is not compatible with ZIP. Finally I made my backup without the Historical Chart Data (unselected) and then manually copied the DB to the backup folder. It is not the size of the DB that causes the problem, but the number of entries.

Problem 3: I got a message - for 7 out of 8 indicators applied to my chart, actually all except the first one - that these indicators could not be serialized. After opening the indicator dialogue of the chart and changing the order oft the indicators, the error message did not show up anymore (same indicators).

Comment

Harry,

Problem 3 always goes away for me by simply reloading ninjascript.

RJay
                  RJay

Comment

Tried to backup NT 7.0.0.9 today:

Problem 2: I have loaded minute data for about 20 instruments (different contracts as loaded per MergeBackAdjusted). So I get a message: "Unable to create NinjaTrader backup archive file: Too many entries for Zip file." Seems that the new database structure (which is very practical) is not compatible with ZIP. Finally I made my backup without the Historical Chart Data (unselected) and then manually copied the DB to the backup folder. It is not the size of the DB that causes the problem, but the number of entries.
                    I've the same error message, using NT 7.0.0.11.
                    Any news about that ?
                    Thanks

Comment

I am now doing my backups without historical chart data. To backup the data I just copy the entire folder Own Documents\ NinjaTrader 7\db into my backup directory....

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by ETFVoyageur, Today, 10:34 AM
                      8 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post ETFVoyageur  
                      Started by HiddenPhilosopher, 05-22-2020, 01:09 AM
                      28 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB