Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT7.2 vs RemoteSoft

Installed 7.2......on 32 bit quad

Export Ninjascript does not work as it is trying to export in 64 bit (bug) from a 32 bit machine and RemoteSoft does not have a 64 bit version (so it crashes first, then 7.2 says 64 bit problem)

a) there is no NT7.2. We just published NT7B2. That's probably what you mean
    b) please contact the author of remotesoft. You needed to upgrade to a protector version which supports 64-bit.
    c) by crash you probably mean an error message which NT provides. Please provide the exact errors message in case further analysis on our end is needed.

Comment

a, yes
      b, how can a run a 64 bit version of remotesoft on my 32 bit machine?
      c. first error is from Vista saying that Remotesoft is not responding ....when I close it, NT says there was a 64 bit error

seems to me NT72B Export Ninjascript is now defaulting to 64 bit instead of auto detecting source machine ...or giving option in export dialog

NT7B1 did not have this problem....it exported and protected and ran fine

Comment

Starting NT7B2, NT will create 32-bit and 64-bit protected version of your assembly within the SAME archive.

This requires a 64-bit "enabled" version of protector. However, protector.exe still is a 32bit program.

Please contact the author to get an updated version.

Comment

right...I have contacted remotesoft....I am hoping I do not have to wait for him to buy a 64 bit machine to create the new version so I can distribute my code

1. perhaps a more elegant solution, i.e. a solution that does not put NT vendors at the mercy of 32 bit vendors, datafeeds, etc, would be for NT7 export to give a choice of 32 or 64 bit to the archive

2. this also makes more sense in that why would 32 bit NT vendors want a 64 bit version in their archive anyway

3. I know that 64 is useful for backtesting massive amounts of data, requiring bigger addresses.....are there any other benefits to 64 bit, such as much faster processing

thanks

Comment

a) as explained below there is no need for a 64-bit machine
            b) we added that feature to your convenience so you don't have to manage 2 different version of your software as 64bit becomes more popular
            c) I'll add your suggestion regarding the option to our list of future considerations while we are in beta. Thanks

Comment

thanks Dierk

makes sense that some of my users would want to run the 64 bit version of NT7 and is is great that I can create that on my 32 bit machine

which leads me back to my last question above.....please explain if there is ANY benefit to 64 bit addressing other than to overcome capacity restrictions i.e. does NT7 64 bit run any faster than NT7 32 bit

Comment

We have no indication that 64bit would run faster than 32bit. I suggest you tried by your own.

Comment

Ray, Dierk

I received this reply from RemoteSoft

"Make sure that you compile the project as any CPU from project settings. Then use -x64 option to generate protected code."

I have no idea what this means as Protector is used seamlessly (in the background) during the NT export with protection process. I hope that it would continue to work the same way in NT7.

Therefore, I believe this brings us back to NT7 needs to have an option to export/protect as 32bit and/or 64bit assemblies.....or perhaps NT7 can make whatever adjust RemoteSoft is suggesting?

Thanks.

Comment

Please make sure you have purchased from RemoteSoft a version of protector which supports 64bit protection. I can tell you that if you purchased yours before summer this year then it definitely would NOT work.

I went back and forth with the protector author this June until we finally had version which would be working.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
                      a) as explained below there is no need for a 64-bit machine
                      b) we added that feature to your convenience so you don't have to manage 2 different version of your software as 64bit becomes more popular
                      c) I'll add your suggestion regarding the option to our list of future considerations while we are in beta. Thanks
                      Dierk, Ray

RemoteSoft does indeed require that the 64bit version of Protector be purchased as new software as opposed to a free upgrade to their existing version....which is fine/fair if I wanted/required it.

Regarding your b) above, I do not want 2 versions of software, just the usual 32 bit....so the dual version feature you have added is not a convenience to me....instead it is preventing me from distributing my software to my users that are also beta testing NT7

Since NT 6.0 Help Guide recommended RemoteSoft Protector, which BTW works perfectly and seamlessly within NT and was therefore a great recommendation, I assume many of the 150 NT vendors mentioned in your first NT7 webinar also use Protector. I further assume that more than a few of them would prefer having the option to export 32bit or 64bit or both.

Please confirm when/how soon you will be implementing your c) above so I can proceed with beta testing NT7 versions of my software.

Thanks

Comment

Here is how you could work around the issue where RemoteSoft protector crashes as it tries to protect a 64bit assembly:

- NT checks if the directory "<protector install dir>/bin/x64" exists
                        - only as this directory exists would it try to create a 64bit protected version of your assembly
                        -> renaming that directory e.g. to "<protector install dir>/bin/x64.old" would prevent NT from trying to creating a 64bit protected version
                        - in case that directory would not exist you would just get a message box indicating that the 64bit protected version could not be created.

This means:
                        - only the 32bit protected version would be created
                        - your code still would perfectly protected, there just would not be a 64-bit version
                        - thus your assembly would NOT run on 64bit windows

Also: as of NT7B3 you should not experience any issue in case you only have purchased a 32bit version from protector

Edit: You needed to have RemoteSoft Protector 3.1 or later in order to have this issue resolved. RemoteSoft announced a public release of that version by end of December 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
                          In fact the export code does this:
                          - it checks if the directory "<protector install dir>/bin/x64" exists
                          - only as this directory exists would it try to create a 64bit protected version of your assembly
                          - in case that directory would not exist you would just get a message box indicating that the 64bit protected version could not be created

-> as of NT7B3 you should not experience any issue in case you only have purchased a 32bit version from protector
                          Dierk

I deleted the x64 folder and it exported/protected as 32 bit...with just the one warning for 64bit that you mentioned

Thanks for the elegant solution

Comment

You're welcome

Comment

I have Protector which supports 64 bit and can use it from Visual Studio,
                              but exporting from NT still throws:error occured protecting your 64 bit assembly.

If I drop both assemblies (32 and 64, named differently) into bin/Custom folder, 64 bit NT ignores 32 bit assembly, but 32 bit NT seems to load both.

And when default workspace contains the indicator which is in protected assemblies, a lot of times 32 bit NT throws a "need to close" error when starting up and crashes.

(Testing on 7B4)

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Klaus Hengher, Yesterday, 03:13 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Klaus Hengher  
                              Started by Sebastian - TwinPeaks, Yesterday, 01:31 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Sebastian - TwinPeaks  
                              Started by wbennettjr, 07-15-2017, 05:07 PM
                              16 responses
                              1 like
                              Last Post eladlevi  
                              Started by Human#102, Yesterday, 09:54 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Human#102  
                              Started by Patlpp, 08-16-2021, 03:10 PM