Simulation vs Simulated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simulation vs Simulated

The fact that the new login process now creates a connection for NinjaTrader Desktop called "Simulation" by default has caused some confusion because of the similarity to the name "Simulated Data Feed," which was supported previously and is entirely different (not actual market data). To help with this confusion, renaming the new connection "Simulation" to "Simulated Trading" would clarify that the trading is simulated, not the data feed.

After all, "Simulation" could mean just about anything is simulated, but it does not - only the account and order fills are simulated.

There are multiple technical support posts in which traders are confused. Implementing this clarification would likely save NinjaTrader support personnel time and save traders frustration.
    Last edited by QuantKey_Bruce; 03-26-2023, 06:48 AM.
    Bruce DeVault
    QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

It's a good observation, QuantKey_Bruce ... but I'm not sure your suggested approach is the answer. I can easily see new traders saying "I'm using Simulated Trading, so I'd better connect to the Simulation Data Feed" and then promptly connecting to the "Simulated Data Feed​". It's a visual thing, as much as a semantic thing. Not sure what would be a good solution, but I suspect more thinking is required on the matter. Thanks for raising it.

Thanks.
    Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
    jeronymite
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Thank you jeronymite - I raise this issue because I'm observing a number of questions in the forums about this and I've been asked about this several times myself. It's confusing. I think there needs to be some new naming so it's more clear. In NinjaTrader "Connections" mean at least two things at once - a broker/way to place orders and a data feed. Yet, "Simulation" does not make it clear that it's only the former part that's being simulated.
      Bruce DeVault

Comment

Hello,

I will note this idea with our product team and create a tracking page for customer feedback. Thanks for your attention on this item.
        Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

For a prime example of how important this is, check out these posts https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/...21#post1243421 and https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/...02#post1249202 in one of which the simulation connection is directly stated to have synthetic market data which is inaccurate, and in the other of which the language "simulation data feed" is used, again conflating the two ideas of synthetic market data and simulated fills. It's so easy to make this mistake - it's totally understandable. There is a simulated data feed that has synthetic data, and there is a simulation account that has simulated market fills but real data. We have to be extremely careful here or this will result in widespread confusion. That's the reason I posted this suggestion - it confused me at first and it also appears to confuse NinjaTrader staff sometimes as well. If we could just fix this naming it would be less likely for a mistake to be made.
          Bruce DeVault

Comment

I totally agree.

'Simulated Data Feed' should be renamed.

I have the perfect replacement:

Synthetic Data Feed

Huh? Not bad, eh?

Comment

bltdavid Yes, I agree that is an improvement. Why don't you add it to the suggestion thread we already have going because this thread is not the best place for it to be preserved.
              Bruce DeVault

Comment

Originally posted by QuantKey_Bruce View Post
                bltdavid Yes, I agree that is an improvement. Why don't you add it to the suggestion thread we already have going because this thread is not the best place for it to be preserved.
                Sorry, I thought this was the correct thread.

Ok, I clicked around .. arrrgh, can't find it.

Got a link?

Comment

bltdavid My mistake. You're in the right place! I was responding to two threads at once and suggested you come here but you're already here. Thank you for the idea. I agree Synthetic Data Feed would be great.
                  Bruce DeVault

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by SantoshXX, Today, 03:09 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post SantoshXX  
                  Started by DanielTynera, Today, 01:14 AM