Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailing stop strategy

Hello all,

New to NinjaTrader here so please excuse my ignorance, and I also apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but it seemed the most relevant.

I am requesting guidance with placing a trailing stop, which I also do not have much experience with in general. I usually just place trades with a 1:3 RR, however I am trading with a prop firm that has a trailing threshold failure level. So I can be +1% in profit, but if the trade reverses, I will be at -2% if my original SL is hit, leaving me with only -1% of the account left before I fail. So, even if my next trade goes into 1% profit and quickly returns to my entry, this will also be a failure. In summary, the account trails -3% at the highest point of profit.

With that being said, I am trying use a strategy that will immediately trail my entry at -1%, until it hits +3%. Essentially what this will do, is it will use my original placement of a 1% "hard" SL, and will also protect me from sudden reversals as I approach the profit target. I should also note that my strategy is swing and may last several days, which is why it is vital that I have a trailing stop.

For example, I was recently up ~$5k on a $100k account (I doubled my R:R). I wound up manually closing the trade at $102,500, leaving me now with only -$500 wiggle room. If the trailing stop I am describing exists, I would have $2k in wiggle room. Kind of sucks, really. However, if I can pass the evaluation and get about 7% into profit with the "live" account, the trailing threshold rule will be gone.

Can someone please point me into the direction of a video if this has been discussed or provide a specific way to input this into a trailing stop ATM. Again, I am not familiar with placing trailing stops.

Thank you so much I appreciate your time and help

Hello crewtrades,

Thank you for your post!

We would only have very general videos and guides available online. Would that suffice? If not, you can certainly write in and we can send something more specific to your scenario. We can always be reached from Help > Email Support or by contact support(at)ninjatrader(dot)com. However, if you'd like the more general information, I can certainly send that here.

I look forward to your reply.
    Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Zachary, can you please provide the general information here? I will also reach out to support with my specific use case.

Much appreciated!

Comment

Hello crewtrades,

Thanks for your reply.

The general information about trailing stops can be found here, here and here. If you have not reached out already, we will look forward to hearing from you.

We are always happy to help!
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_Zachary; 06-14-2024, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Good evening Zachary - thanks for that material. I was able to at least find the trailing stop loss within the platform and play around with some of the settings. However, I am having trouble getting the price to move when entering profit.

Can you please provide me with the necessary inputs for a strategy that will only risk $1000 at any given time? Whether in profit or drawdown. I need to stop to trail as soon as the order is placed, including a move into $1 profit.

Parameter type: Currency
          Stop loss: 1000
          Profit: 0

Auto trail, 1 step:
          Stop loss: 1000
          Profit trigger: 1
          Frequency: 1

Comment

Hello crewtrades,

Thank you for your response.

The Auto Trail would only ever be in ticks, instead of currency like the rest of the strategy. You'd need to calculate the stop loss in ticks based on the instrument you are trading. Once you have the appropriate tick value entered as the Stop loss on the Auto Trail, it should work as you've intended.

Please let us know if we may assist you any further.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by MatthewLesko, 05-21-2021, 09:37 PM
            4 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Mahmad1323  
            Started by samish18, Today, 03:02 PM
            3 responses
            0 likes