Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Did something happen to the chart rendering calculation between 8.0.26.1 and 8.1.1.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
    Hello WHICKED,

If there is a bug that we can identify, we do want to report this.

To identify the specific cause of an issue to report this to our development we must have a reduced test script, with only the bare minimum code to reproduce the behavior.
    This will be true of any thing you find that you feel is unexpected or incorrect behavior.

If this is a script you have created, reduce the script to the bare minimum necessary to reproduce. Hopefully this will only be one or two lines of logic.
    Export the script and attach this to your next post.
    By default we will add the script to a 1 minute ES future chart. If there are special steps to reproduce, please include these.
    If I am able to reproduce the behavior I will report the behavior to our development and provide the reduced test script and steps to reproduce.

"if they are literally saying that you must reduce number of draw objects"

This has been the stance of development since day one of NinjaTrader 8.

From the help guide:
    "When using Draw methods, a new instance of the Draw object is created including its custom rendering and calculation logic. These methods are convenient in many situations, but can quickly introduce performance issues if used too liberally. In some situations, you may see better performance for rendering via SharpDX in OnRender().​"
    Help guide: NinjaScript > NinjaScript Best Practices > Performance practices > Using DrawObjects vs custom graphics in OnRender()

This means if there are more than just a few Draw method calls in the script, stop using Draw methods and custom render all shapes in OnRender(). It's also advised only running logic for the visible bars (ChartBars.FromIndex to ChartBars.ToIndex).
    thats all good and fine - but no one has answered WHY between 8.0.27.1 and 8.0.28 and onward that this all the sudden became an issue.

Comment

Hello WHICKED,

I am not aware of any changes to the rendering engine for these releases.

A reduced test script that can reproduce would give us something to investigate.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a why without an investigation as to what is causing the behavior.
      Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
        Hello WHICKED,

I am not aware of any changes to the rendering engine for these releases.

A reduced test script that can reproduce would give us something to investigate.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a why without an investigation as to what is causing the behavior.
        It does not have to be only the rendering. It could be scaling, refresh, changes to the virtual CPU, anything that has to do with draw objects.

It also seems to be affecting Plots - as they blink as well... so the theory of it being ONLY draw objects is a mute point.

Comment

NinjaTrader_ChelseaB if I were to send you a video with some simplified indicator and logs would it be helpful somehow? But I can do that on 8.0.28.

Comment

quote " It also seems to be affecting Plots - as they blink as well... so the theory of it being ONLY draw objects is a mute point."

the plots are draw objects that need rendering, as well as the bars

Comment

just a suggestion...if you are going to send a video, you should also include the XML files for all the workspaces that are loaded

from a previous thread, I understand the rending is happening on all open workspaces, no matter which one is in focus

Comment

Hello Leeroy_Jenkins,

I need to be able to reproduce the behavior on my end.

If you can reproduce using only system indicators / drawing tools (without any 3rd party or custom scripts) then the workspace would be helpful.

Comment

Here is the issue - between the versions that have been mentioned. No code was changed on the third parties end. But yet the version of NT did change.

Between the versions the flashing issue was not observed on the old version of NT - new versions have the issue.

That blatantly points to SOMETHING that NT did in their code that broke something with how things are rendered.

flashing did not happen on the old version - meaning the vCPU and the amount of draw objects DID NOT MATTER at that time. Now all the sudden with updated NT, there is an issue? so a change WAS made between versions of NT and something that was done broke how it was handled in the past.

This is not a fix that the COMMUNITY needs to provide - it is something that NT needs to look at and figure out what they broke.

It would take a dev literally looking at the differences between the old version and new version. As for the comment 'well it is not in the release notes, blah blah blah' - yeah - and there is NEVER a time that a change was made that was not put in a release note in the entire history of software development.... right.....

It has been reported multiple times - by multiple VENDORS and NON-VENDORS - and yet you ASK US FOR CODE? NO! a vendor is NOT GOING TO GIVE YOU CODE since it is proprietary. And I bet a non-vendor would do the EXACT SAME THING of not sharing their code to you.

Stop asking for US to do what you need to do.

Comment

Hello WHICKED,

To report something to our development, we have to be able to reproduce and must have simple steps to reproduce.
                    If our development cannot reproduce, they cannot start to address the issue, know where to look for the issue, or even know if the issue was corrected if code was changed, if we cannot reproduce it.

We are not asking the community to fix anything. We are asking for a script that reproduce the behavior so we can show it to our development.

I've added the SMA indicator to a chart and I'm not seeing any flashing.

Can you reproduce with the SMA?

Does a custom script have to be used to reproduce?
                    If so, we need a reduced script with only the code necessary to reproduce if our development is going to try and correct the behavior.

So far, I have not received any reduced scripts that can reproduce that we can provided to our development.
                    Mentioning some custom script produces some behavior is not reporting a specific issue.

Please let me know if does not clarify what we need to report an issue.

Kind regards.

Comment

Well - there's a reason that no scripts have been shared - as mentioned above.

As for the need to be able to replicate the issue - it happens with SMA it happens with anything that is a draw object. So - make 5-10 charts and load them with anything or everything that is a draw object, plot etc

Do this on lets say unirenko charts and set to a low setting say 1,1,2 for the trend, reversal etc

you will see the flashing - as many have mentioned it is with non-timebased systems - even on range charts.

Comment

Hello WHICKED,

Regarding a reproducing test script, the full logic is not needed and we are not requesting it.
                        We need a simple test script with the few lines that can reproduce the behavior.
                        No other logic should be added to the script.
                        Unfortunately, without this, we are not able to report the behavior to our development.

That said, if you are stating this can be reproduced by specifically adding 10 charts and drawing objects on them, this is something we can test.
                        I've tested opening 10 charts and adding both the SMA and a drawing object, but I'm not seeing any flashing.
                        Below is a link to a video of the test.

Comment

There is the chart template - you will see if you open multiple charts with the following Unirenko settings that eventually price markers start rendering weirdly and then the main chart will 'rescale' and will snap back. - the more charts you have the more apparent the issues become.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	20
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1307513

[ATTACH]n1307512[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by WHICKED View Post
                            There is the chart template - you will see if you open multiple charts with the following Unirenko settings that eventually price markers start rendering weirdly and then the main chart will 'rescale' and will snap back. - the more charts you have the more apparent the issues become.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	20
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1307513

[ATTACH]n1307512[/ATTACH]
                            And to be blatant about the observations. This 'amount' of drawing objects was not an issue in the 8.0.26.x versions and prior. Only the 8.0.27.x and higher did this flashing/rescale issue start happening

Comment

Hello WHICKED,

I've used UniRenko bars download from the User App Share here: .
                              (Update March 11th, 2020 – Fix for TickReplay, calculates values if bar object is mid-session and have not been calculated as least once) This is a conversion of the UniRenko ‐ Universal Renko BarType developed and originally coded for the NinjaTrader 7 platform by monpere. Please contact the original author for any questions or comments. […]

I was not able to reproduce any flashing.

Comment

at what time of day? did you only do replay/playback?

did you do this on NQ? or did you use some slow moving instrument?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by yertle, Today, 12:24 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post yertle
                                by yertle

Started by reekotubbs, Yesterday, 01:09 PM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes