VMWare Fusion NT Install Tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMWare Fusion NT Install Tutorial

This is an installation tutorial for Mac users running NT (6.5) off a Windows virtual drive hosted by VMWare.

I use a MacBook Pro w/VMWare Fusion 3.0.1 and Windows XP Pro. I have no experience with Parallels or Boot Camp, but try to get the concept and apply it to your own setup.

When Fusion is installed, Shared Folders is automatically turned On by default when VMWare Tools is activated. Files are shared between OSX and XP platforms and this is BAD, because it allows some files from the NT installation to be placed on the Mac for no apparent reason. The Indicator Library ended up in OSX, for example, and when I tried to apply indicators to a chart in XP, the selection box was empty, because NT couldn't/wouldn't share. No good.

NT looks for files on drive C:\ on XP in Fusion, nowhere else. So the trick is to get all NT files over to drive C:\ on Windows.

Rejoice...it can be done! You can try these steps to change the code in the Windows registry if you're willing to risk it. It's not as scary as it looks, and remember, if you make a mistake, you can reinstall Windows in a new virtual machine to start over from scratch. Take your time and you'll have no problem.

1.Exit NT
    2.Turn Shared Folders OFF in Fusion.
    3.Reboot NT. You will get an message saying “Error 1327.Invalid Drive: Z:\ .” This means is Fusion is on drive Z:\, but NT is looking for files on drive C:\. Not a problem. Exit NT again.
    4.In Windows, click Start, and then click Run.
    5.In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    6.In Registry Editor, locate the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer
    \Shell Folders
    7.In the right pane, note the values in the Data field of each entry.
    If any value contains a drive that is not correct for your computer (z:\),
    right-click the entry, type c:\my documents in the Value data box, and
    then click OK.
    8.Repeat step 7. for each entry whose Data value contains an incorrect
    drive. This means any value with z:\ in it, including default, music, photos, personal, etc. Everything with z:\ must be replaced with c:\my documents.

9.Repeat steps 6 through 8 for each of the following registry keys:
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer
    \User Shell Folders
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer
    \Shell Folders
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer
    \User Shell Folders
    10. Close the Registry editor. Now all Windows files are on drive C:\ and if you click on the My Documents icon on the desktop, you will see Ninja Trader file folders where they belong.
    11.Reboot NT. Enter your License Key, and and establish you account connection information as is customary.

Everything should run fine. Good Luck and Good Trading.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by kevinenergy, 02-17-2023, 12:42 PM
118 responses
1 like
Last Post kevinenergy  
Started by briansaul, Today, 05:31 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post briansaul  
Started by traderqz, Yesterday, 12:06 AM